Thursday, August 12, 2010

Amish Country Ohio Wireless Coverage

Tomorrow I leave for a weekend trip to Amish Country Ohio, an area around Holmes County. I was curious which of my wireless devices would have services so I decided to do a quick check. I have a Motorola Droid through Verizon Wireless and an Apple iPad with service through AT&T.

I did a quick Google search for Verizon and AT&T's respective coverage maps and was (somewhat) surprised by what I saw. AT&T didn't have what they call "Moderate" coverage, they had "No Service Available." Even in the city of Berlin, which is a major tourist attraction, the best coverage they could "possibly" offer is shown as "Moderate."


Verizon, however, had full digital coverage for the entire county and surrounding areas.


While I realize we are talking about AMISH COUNTRY here... and the need for wireless/cellular service is probably limited, it brings up what I've always known: AT&T's coverage fails in comparison to Verizon's. I had hoped to be able to leave my laptop at home and use my iPad for everything; now, however, I'll have to bring my laptop in case I need to tether it to my Droid for access to my office.

Why can't AT&T offer better coverage? Why can't they partner with or piggy-back off of Verizon's network? Something. Anything. But as the maps above show... AT&T needs to do something.

Looking for a Technology Rental to help you GO? Call 800-736-8772 today to reserve a Laptop Rental for your next trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment