Google is going to be throwing its hat into yet another race this summer: the eBook market. Google's new eBook store, called "Editions," is expected to be open in June or July and the company hopes it will become a big competitor for Apple and Amazon.
Apple, of course, sells digital books for its new iPad device and Amazon for the device synonymous with eBooks, the Kindle. Amazon has sold over three million Kindles while the iPad, which has only been on the market for a month, has sold over a million.
Editions will sell over 12 million books, which will be available to read from any computer or mobile gadget, or anywhere you can access a full web browser. Publishers will be allowed to set the prices for their books and the eBooks will also be available for bookstores to sell. The stores will keep a majority of the revenue.
Google is also working on Google Book Search, which allows authors and publishers to sell "orphan books," which would allow people to search for those books and pay to use them. Authors and publishers who scan and sell the books would make 63% of the profit, while Google makes the remaining 37%. That effort is currently in limbo, due to legal opposition encouraged by the United States Department of Justice.
Looking for a Technology Rental to help you GO? Call 800-736-8772 today to reserve a Laptop Rental for your next trip.